Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Confession of the Slightly Mashed Earrings

It was my Lucky Day! I had just happened to find one of my 14k gold earrings on the front lawn I usually cut across from our driveway to our front door. It was even luckier as my husband had just mowed the lawn. I noticed my earring appeared slightly mashed on one side, but counted myself lucky that it wouldn't probably be noticed too much because of the design. I only own a handful of pairs of 14k gold earrings, but I noticed another pair had a slight dent in one earring also. I found it curious & thought I must really be moving around a lot in my sleep & probably should stop wearing them at night.

Lo & behold as I was examining another pair of earrings that happened to have also a slight mashing to one earring & was trying to puzzle it out loud when my 12 year old says to me with a little quirk on her face, "Uh Mom, one day when I was little (translate as 10 years old), I wanted to see if your earrings were real gold so I bit down on them to see." Sure enough, every single pair of 14K gold earrings had one of each pair with a slight dent, corresponding to a "little Bite."

What is a mom supposed to do? I laughed, & am sure I will have fond memories of this little confession when she is "big & off to college." I'm sure then it will seem special to me. For now, I am the mom with 5 kids wearing the earrings certified by a 10 year old to be "Real Gold."